Wednesday, November 11, 2009

New Orleans

We had a great time in New Orleans. Weather was great. Company was great. It was a busy weekend for the city. We didn't realize until we got there that the National DDay Museum was being rededicated as the National WWII Museum. Tom Hanks was in the city as well as Tom Brokaw and many WWII veterans. Also, the Saints are currently on a roll. So on Sunday the streets were filled with Saints jerseys with folks waiting for the game to begin at the Superdome.


It was good to see so many people visiting the Big Easy. The Streetcars were packed going up and down St. Charles Avenue. Hunter and I walked around Loyola's campus with my former roommate. (I refuse to call her "old") It hasn't changed too much. There are a few more buildings, including a brand new library. Pity they got rid of the Wolf Pub in the basement of the Danna Center. Back in the day we could actually sit back and enjoy a beer on campus and if we got lucky fellow classmate Harry Connick, Jr. and his trio would play some tunes on stage. But hey, they do now have a Sushi Bar. The sorority reunion was, ah, interesting. I think everyone had a great time. I know I enjoyed letting my hair down with friends from my college days. I wish more of them could have been there.
We took a city tour by bus. Normally I would not have. But I wanted Hunter to see that New Orleans is about more than just the French Quarter. Our guide was great. She is a resident of the 8th Ward and had evacuated before Katrina. Those places hit hardest by the levee breaks are still in horrible shape. It's pretty much just abandoned homes or absolutely empty lots as far as you can see. There is some rebuilding. We saw the Musician's Village and also the homes being built by Brad Pitt's organization.

Also got to see one of the many above ground cemeteries NOLA is famous for. Hunter said it creeped him out a little. I was sorry to see so many young people in and around the French Quarter who seem to be homeless. They weren't like the street performers. They just sat alone on street corners or atop the levees in small groups. Sad, but there has always been that kind of undercurrent in the city.



Other than the bus tour, we just walked and ate and walked and ate. I might have missed the half marathon, but I think we pretty much walked at least 15 miles during the weekend. While we stopped to see one of the many bands playing in the streets of the French Quarter, I was overwhelmed by how much I love it there. This trip only cemented my belief that this is truly one of the greatest American cities and it deserves all efforts that have been made and will continue to be made to restore it.

No comments:

Post a Comment