Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Find My Family-ABC

I was hesitant to watch this new show on ABC, but decided to try it once. We are still waiting and I didn't know if the producers would be fair in their depiction of all sides of the adoption process. I had read on another blog that the adoptive parents stories might not be honored and that the reunions would be sensationalized like a soap opera.

I have to say I thought it was quite good. The two presenters are both adoptees and they were very calm and encouraging to all sides involved. The couple featured last night were high school sweethearts and became pregnant at 16. They explained how they made the decision to place the child with an adoptive family. They went on to get married a few years later and are still together raising three more children. The adoptee and her family were approached in a respectful manner and their story was given equal weight within the episode. They didn't seem to be pressured in any way. And ultimately in last night's episode, I was struck by how loving the reunion was. The adoptee's birth siblings were so adorable. They were obviously thrilled to meet their sister.

The whole meeting under the "family tree" thing is pretty cheesy and the announcer kind of over does it with his voice overs announcing the next segment. But it tugged at all the heart strings, while actually educating the viewer about the adoption process. I'll be happy to watch again. I think there is something to be learned in watching these stories unfold.

No comments:

Post a Comment