Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Nesting

I have definitely started nesting. I've been making lists of things I need to do before we bring the baby home. I have been cleaning out closets and taking things to the charity shops. And of course, cleaning - my favorite thing. NOT!

One of the things I would like to do is prepare some meals to freeze. I know you can freeze soups and lasagnas, but my brain can't think of any others. One of our cousins got some chickens recently and she is very generously sharing the eggs with us. Almost too generously. We are overrun with them at the moment. I'm thinking of making some quiches but don't know if they freeze well.

The other thing I would like to do is encourage Hunter to cook more. He can throw a frozen pizza in the oven and make a salad. And like most guys he can grill. Other than that he is lost in the kitchen. When I ask him what we might need to add to our grocery list, he immediately says popcorn and sodas and that's it. I'd like to find some simple fix meals that I can teach him. My mom's tuna fish casserole is an example. It only has three ingredients and you just throw them in a casserole and bake.

Any suggestions??

7 comments:

  1. I have a recipe book that is called Five and Fabulous...or something along those lines. Each recipe has 5 ingredients and you are more than welcome to borrow it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often make casserole type dishes with soups. My favorite: chicken, condensed chicken soup, broccoli & mushrooms, shredded cheese & curry powder. You can add quite a bit of powder and just get the taste with no kick. Or leave it out all together. I usually brown the chicken first but it's not necessary if it's cubed small enough, it just means you need to cook it a bit longer. I serve it with rice and my 4 yr old DEVOURS it every time.
    I know there are a lot of cookbooks that focus on meals that take 15 min or less to put together, which you will appreciate once baby gets here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. boneless pork chops in golden mushroom soup, put them in the oven at 350 for about an hour and serve over rice. yum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! Condensed soups. A very good short cut. And, Daphne, I think HB can handle to pork chops!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i agree with daphne. the 5 and fabulous book is great! 1 thing i always keep on hand is noodles, alfredo sauce and frozen meatballs. something that is easy to make and usually has leftovers too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey there, Rachel! Thanks for reading. I made and froze 4 quiches this weekend. That ought to tide us over.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's always hamburger, rice and tomatoes!! Brown and drain the hamburger, add your own wonderful canned tomatoes and cooked rice. Heat through and eat it up!

    I love recipes...especially when they are easy and goooood. :)

    ReplyDelete