Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Networking

I made up a little web page for us using our "Dear Birth Mother" letter and some various pics of us. I emailed the link to everyone in my email contacts and ask those who felt comfortable to do the same. We have had quite a few visits in just a couple of days. Very encouraging. Maybe that's why I'm coaching myself to have only positive thoughts.


I have had a few emails from people who have been sent the link. They are very kind to take the time. I also discovered a new blog. It is written by a woman who is about my age and doesn't live terribly far from me which is a miracle since we don't live in the city. She asked through a mutual friend to be introduced to me on Facebook. It is so nice to finally know someone close by who has been down the infertility road and who has now moved onto adoption.


Her blog today brought sad news that another birth mother did not choose them to parent her child. But she ended on a positive note and it reminded me of our first encounter at our adoption agency.


The woman who is now the agency's CEO told her adoption story. She was working as a lawyer and occasionally would do a case for the agency. She and her husband were infertile and decided to contact the agency about becoming adoptive parents. They were chosen by by a young woman who eventually decided to parent her child. She said she was so devastated. She went through all the emotions and the "Why me" thoughts. Not too long after, the agency called and there was another birth mom and she picked them and it all worked out. She and her husband settled into family life and a few years later they got a call out of the blue that their daughter's birth mom was pregnant and asked if they would be willing to parent her sibling. Even though they were not looking to adopt again they decided they could not pass up this opportunity. And now they are a family of four. And she decided to go to work for the agency.


It was a great story and it is one that I think of from time to time to keep me going. We all say it, "There is a child out there for you". But I think it is hard to believe until it finally happens to you. People can say supportive things all day long, but it doesn't take away the pain of not being chosen for a child you had dearly yearned for. I haven't been through that yet so I don't know how I would react if it does happen to us. I would hope that I could turn it into a positive and say there was a reason for this to happen this way and our child will find us eventually.

2 comments:

  1. That's awesome that you have someone close enough to have some IRL support

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amy,

    Thanks for reading and linking to my blog. I appreciate it very much. I just visited your adoption profile page, and it brought back so many memories of the time we spent waiting. I'm really excited for you, because the best is yet to come. Truly! And I'll bet it will surpass your wildest dreams. Wishing you peace, Sally

    ReplyDelete