Thursday, October 29, 2009

A truly inspiring celebrity adoption

You never know where you'll find hope and inspiration. I try not to obsess about our future adoption, but some days I can't stop myself. So today found me looking at the forums on adoption.com for the millionth time. Every once and a while I find a golden nugget of information that helps me hang on and today was one of those days. Here it is..



http://www.huffingtonpost.com/nia-vardalos/the-list_b_161241.html



I knew Nia Vardalos (of "My Big, Fat Greek Wedding" fame) was featured in Adoptive Families magazine this month. I just subscribed, so I haven't gotten my first issue yet. The link in the forum was the first opportunity I have had to learn her adoption story. I'm just really thankful to her for sharing it. God Bless her. She had the chance to do the Hollywood Adoption fast track and refused. Instead, she mucked her way through the maze that is Domestic Adoption and waited for her daughter like the rest of us. Now she is working to raise public awareness about Domestic Adoptions and to correct any misconceptions people might have. No big fanfare. No "Entertainment Tonight" PR. Just letting her actions speak volumes about her character.

And, I have to say, just when I thought I knew everything there was to know about adoption, I learned a few new things through reading about her experience.

Thank you, Nia!

No comments:

Post a Comment