Sunday, March 6, 2011

Lost and Found

Genealogy has been an on and off hobby of mine forever. Back in the 1970s, my great aunt painstakingly traced my father's paternal tree back to England in the 1840s. In the late 1990s when the Internet finally became a household item, I took to RootsWeb trying to find out how the Isle of Wight Biddlecombs came across the Atlantic. A nice lady was able to give me some info about the previous generation before the family emigrated. I shared it with family members and we were all amazed at the info.

Then I met Hunter and I more or less forgot about genealogy, what with trying to reproduce and  continue the family line and all. So after Monday's shocking call from the adoption agency, I received another shocking call on Tuesday. Or rather, my Mom and Dad did. The two of them called me at work and said they had just gotten off the phone with a lady from the Isle of Wight in England and she was looking for me! What???

She and Dad talked a little while. He grabbed his aunt's notes and it turns out that she is one of our long lost cousins still living on the Isle of Wight. She was looking for me because of a couple of inquiries I had made on RootsWeb all those years ago. Amazing! So my cousin and I have been emailing back and forth this past week. Today I am sitting here having a cup of tea and getting ready to scan my aunt's work from all those years ago to send to my new found cousin. I was just looking through the pages and, there it is, the link between us two. My aunt knew the name of our mutual ancestor and the last name of her husband but not much else. So now, hopefully we will know more about this side of the family.

It's all too much to take in. But it is a welcome distraction as we prepare to go to Richmond tomorrow. So, dear cousin, if you are reading this, I am getting to work. It's going to be a rainy day here so not much else to do. So glad to have been found.

2 comments:

  1. I do genealogy too and I'ts always exciting when a lost cousin turns up and you can share information. Thank you for your comments on my blog and I wish you well in your adoption search.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been thinking about you today (Monday) and hoping that all is going well in Richmond.

    My Mom did a lot of genealogy research and traced our family back to the early days of Virginia. She never did connect with any relatives in England where the family originally came from.

    ReplyDelete