Thursday, August 27, 2009

Vacation Interuptus?

There is a lot involved when you rent a beach house rather than choosing a hotel for your vacation. I wind up making lots of lists because I'm so paranoid we're going to forget something important.

Sheets and towels? check
Umbrella and chairs? check
Soap, TP and Paper towels? check

Tropical Storm? check

Wait, I didn't order that. But, never the less, TS Danny is out there and tropical storms keep recurring on our vacations. I'd like to speak to someone about this, please.

We usually plan our vacation near the end of August. The rates are lower. And for now, we don't have to worry about "back to school time". Last year my parents invited us to stay with them in a house in Lewes, DE. We spent the week before monitoring TS Hannah which was set to hit the East Coast (you guessed it) the day we were going to Delaware. On a good day the trip takes 5 hours. My mom and I decided we would leave at 5am and try to get out in front of the storm. We were scared they would close the Bay Bridge. We had awful wind and rain and heavy traffic. It was the worst 9 hours of my life. We could have flown to Europe in that time! Anyway, Hannah wound up breaking up and it was beautiful and sunny by the next morning.

We leave for the Outer Banks on Saturday. And since yesterday, I am monitoring yet another tropical storm. Danny is supposed to be off Cape Hatteras Friday night and then turn northeast and head for New England. Please let the weather forecasters be right.

Oh well, a rainy day at the beach is better than a sunny day at work, I always say.

No comments:

Post a Comment