Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The Sound of Silence

A co-worker said something to me today that I used to hear a lot years ago, but haven't heard in a long time. Amazingly, it still gets my goat.

"You're so quiet"

The person who said it is one of the nicest people you could meet. I don't believe for a minute he meant any offense. But it rubbed me wrong and brought up memories of others who have made the same comment to me in the past. I can't tell you how many times I've heard that comment in my life. Is there really something wrong with being quiet?

Mind you, I'm not a social outcast. I have always had plenty of friends. But there are people that I meet from time to time who apparently see me as some sort of pathetic little mouse of a woman. When they say, "you're so quiet" it's like it's a bad thing.

It's true, I probably would have made a good librarian. I am not the most outgoing person. I am an introspective person. I express myself better in writing than in speech (thus the blog). I am definitely not a "Chatty Cathy". But there are some folks out there who have thought I was quiet and who I have later gotten comfortable with, and they wish they could shut me up sometimes. So, I don't know why it has always bothered me to be labeled by some as "quiet".

No comments:

Post a Comment