Tuesday, December 8, 2009

It's a wonderful day in the neighborhood...

OK, went to the baby shower and did fine. It was just presents and food. My favorite kind of shower. I never could stand those shower games. It was at my aunt's house who happens to be the twins great-grandmother! She had a stroke about a year ago. She has spent the last year being rehabilitated. She still can't walk much, but on good days she can speak and interact. Sunday was a good day. She sat next to her grand-daughter-in-law and insisted on inspecting every present, stroking the fabric of the clothes or laughing when someone made a joke. It was a nice couple of hours spent with family.

On the way home I decided to take a little spin around town and as I was leaving, something caught my eye in the cemetery. There is a statue at the main entrance and someone had put an orange tee shirt on him. I had an idea who might have been up to such a prank and when I got closer, my suspicions were confirmed. Someone had taken a tee shirt from the local watering hole/marina and dressed Mr. Morris up (he was the one who founded the cemetery in town). I got a good laugh out of it and then decided to "visit" with some more family.

A couple times a year I take the time to visit various relatives' graves. I have a particular route that I drive to different sections of the cemetery. First I went to see my Dad's family, my grandfather and his siblings and spouses. Then I drive over to my Mom's grandparents. On the way there I stopped briefly to say hello to two men who died way too young when their parents' house caught fire back in the 1970's. Their father died last winter and he is with them now.

I must have gotten distracted because I found myself on the grass instead of the gravel. Well, we have had about 9 inches of rain in the last month, so of course my wheels got stuck. I tried to go forward, then backwards. Nope, I was good and stuck. There was only an hour of daylight left and my damn cell phone barely had any charge or signal on it. I panicked-nobody knew where I was, as this was an impromptu visit. I called Hunter and screamed quickly "Don't question me, I'm stuck in the cemetery. Bring the truck and rope now" I was so mad, I had wanted to get home to catch the end of the Saints game.

Well, we live a good half hour away and I knew it would take him forever. So I called one of my cousins that had been at the shower and told her what happened. "Is your husband at home??" No, she said, but she would try to call him. I got out of the car and sunk at least 2 inches into the mud and ruined my shoes. Why, oh why, had I chosen to wear heels today???!! I walked out to the the road and started heading towards the wharf at the end where my cousins keep their fishboats. Maybe someone would be there or at least I could use the phone. Nobody there, but hey, being in the country, they hadn't bothered to lock the door to the net house. But, both phones were dead. So I hoofed it all the way back to the car and Thank God! there was my good cousin-his wife had tracked him down-with tow ropes and a 4 wheel drive SUV.

It's times like these that make me so thankful to live in a small town and to have so many friends and relatives who will stop whatever they are doing if somebody needs help.

No comments:

Post a Comment