Tuesday, July 28, 2009

I was born in a small town...

Seems like "Doc Hollywood" was on TVLand all weekend. Even though we were busy, I managed to catch bits and pieces. I hadn't seen it in awhile and had forgotten how much I like it. It's such a lovely depiction of life in a small Southern town. Corny and stereotypical at times, but it does strike an honest and emotional chord in me.

I grew up in a small town like that. Everybody knows everybody and their business. When I was a teenager I couldn't wait to get away. So I begged my parents to let me go to college in New Orleans-1000 miles away. I was homesick for a long time even though I wouldn't have admitted it at the time. It was the best experience of my life. When I moved back home I settled in Richmond and had 4 fantastic years there. But something was missing and I realized it was my family. I hated missing family events and just everyday encounters with friends and family.

I think that is the best part of the movie. The day to day interaction of the characters. As funny as Michael J. Fox walking a pig is, it is even funnier to see people passing him by and not thinking twice about it. "Nice looking pig, Doc." Too funny.

I don't regret giving up the "big city" for country living. With the advent of the Internet, nobody is too far away. I get to keep in touch with relatives and friends from all over. I actually get frustrated with the traffic when I do visit Richmond nowadays. I'm so thankful for those days in New Orleans and I miss it all the time. But home is home and to quote John "Cougar" Mellencamp, "It's probably where they'll bury me".

2 comments:

  1. I love family lfe in a semi-small town, too! I grew up in a suburb of Nashville, and when my husband and I moved just to Chattanooga for two years, I thought I would die. God taught me a lot, but I sure was thrilled when we got to move back here! Thanks for the comment on my blog; I'm going to keep up with you!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete