Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Hurricane + Earthquake = One big headache

It's August and time to watch out for hurricanes. Which is precisely what I have been doing for a good part of the day. The 11am advisory by NOAA put us directly in the path of Hurricane Irene come this Sunday. So there was that to worry about today. Hunter hates this time of year for that reason and has expressed a wish to move to the desert. In past years a hurricane warning means a mad dash to either get our boat out of the water or at least make sure it is secure. Then there is the generator. Hunter has to make sure it is in working order, because if we lose power in this area he is basically working from sun up to sun down for the power company. But at least we have time to prepare. It may be for nothing, but at least you can see a hurricane coming and make a choice.

I remember having a conversation with a co-worker after the Northridge earthquake in California in the 1990's. She wanted to know if I would rather experience a hurricane or an earthquake. I didn't hesitate and told her definitely a hurricane. She argued for the earthquake because it was over so quickly. I said yeah, but there's no warning. Mind you I had never experienced an earthquake at that time. So lord knows how on earth I knew that the rumble at our office today was an earthquake. But I did. And now I definitely know the answer to my co-worker's question. I'll take a hurricane any day, just not the same week as my first ever earthquake. It's gonna be a long week...

1 comment:

  1. Stay safe during the hurricane. Sounds like it will be rough where you live.

    ReplyDelete