Friday, October 15, 2010

16 going on 17

We've had a few blips on the adoption radar this week. We have sent out several parent profiles for various prospective placements. Nothing to report so far. So, back to the waiting.

In other news, I will be celebrating my birthday this weekend. We will be busy. This evening we loaded up firewood to take over to my alma mater's annual oyster roast. Tomorrow we are training for our 10K debut by running/walking 5 miles. We are almost there! Getting excited about October 30th. Then we have to haul another load of wood over to the oyster roast. But tomorrow night we will enjoy the fruits of our labors and eat roasted oysters, clam chowder and hot dogs. It's a good time.

Last weekend when we were driving to Richmond, I had the XM radio tuned to "The 80s on 8" channel. Every week the former MTV veejays pick a year and they play the top 40 tunes for that week. Last week they did the week leading up to my birthday in October 1983. What a blast! Hunter kept trying to turn the volume down. But I just said "NO" and continued singing along with the tunes. Who would have thought I still knew all the words to Men At Work's "Dr. Heckyll and Mr. Jive"?

All of the memories of being 16 going on 17 came back to me during that road trip. I had one of the best years of my life in 1983. I was 16. I had my driver's license. I had great friends to keep me laughing. The day I turned 17 I was a little sad. I even looked in the mirror that day and said, "Please let me stay 16 forever" Ha, now I'm looking at 44. I look older and don't move as fast. I am wiser and I'm thankful for that. I've had lots of great years and milestones since 16. But in my mind and in my heart, I wanna be 16 forever! Rock On!!!

David Bowie's "Modern Love" was a part of the countdown. It was one of my favs from back then and is probably responsible for my teenage obsession with Mr. Bowie!

No comments:

Post a Comment