Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Rule Britannia!

Here's a confession: I am a Britophile. I can't explain when it first occurred to me that I was. It has a lot to do with my Dad's family's English roots. But specifically I became enamoured of all things British beginning with the announcement of Prince Charles and Lady Diana Spencer's impending nuptials in 1981. I have been following the British Royals ever since. I remember the Wales' wedding day like it was yesterday. For better or worse, I couldn't keep myself from reading the gossip during the Windsor soap opera when they separated and divorced. And, of course, I was heartbroken for Diana's sons when she died in the crash in Paris in 1997.

So when I awoke this morning to see the breaking news of William and Kate's engagement, I felt I had come full circle. It's silly and I know plenty of folks in Britain who wish the Monarchy would go away. But I love it. And when I found out today that William presented his fiancee with his mother's engagement ring when asking for her hand in marriage. Well....waterworks!



Congratulations to the happy couple!

2 comments:

  1. Fellow Britophile here and I'm excited for the Royal Couple, too! (Not that I know them or anything)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting, great to find another "royal" follower. I love all the pomp and glamour and no one can organise a parade like THE palace

    ReplyDelete