Friday, March 12, 2010

Adoption Politics

When I was growing up in the 1970s, my Mom and her friends decided to join the local chapter of the Republican Women's Club. My Mom was 19 when she married and she, like her friends, was a stay at home mom. I don't think they really had any political leanings. I think they were looking to get a little "me" time while the kids were in school and this was an attractive outlet. My Dad was supportive of her involvement, but also teased my Mom saying she barely knew a Republican from Democrat.

My Mom and her friends stuck with the club for a number of years. It turned out to be more than just Tea Partys and fund raising events. My Mom was a delegate at several conventions to nominate candidates for state elections. She would go to the conventions and come home and tell me and my brother about her experiences. She actually met Elizabeth Taylor once when she was married to and campaigning for John Warner. She also worked as a campaign volunteer for a state senator and helped manage the campaign for a local board of supervisors candidate.

Through her experiences, my brother and I learned a lot about politics and how our government works. I believe the right to vote is so important to our democracy. I have voted in every election since I was 18 years old. As I get older, I hate political parties and I make a point of voting for the candidate, not his or her party.

Why am I going on about this on an adoption blog? In the last month I have been encouraged to contact my representatives on 2 issues. One was for tax exemptions for fraternity and sorority housing improvements. I wrote to both Virgina Senators and heard back via a form letter from both within a weeks time. One said he is sponsoring the bill. The other said he would consider sponsoring the bill. Yay, democracy in action!

The other issue was about the Adoption Tax Credit legislation which is set to expire December 2010. Currently there is a tax credit for adoptive families. They may claim up to $12,000 dollars on their tax return for adoption expenses. A typical adoption costs between $15,000 to $50,000. For most families, including us, it really makes a difference. I recently contacted my Virginia representatives via email about this issue. Unlike the bill for collegiate housing, I have heard nothing.

This is the first time in my adult life that I have taken the time to contact my representatives. When I wrote to them about the adoption tax credit, I really didn't know how it all worked. I didn't expect a response. But now, after hearing back from both Senators in less than a week about the collegiate housing tax exemption it makes me think. And it makes me mad. The biggest hurdle for adoptive families is the expense. There are so many children who need homes. Why would the government take away this tax exemption and make it even harder for adoptive families?

If you care about this issue, I invite you to visit this site:

http://adoptiontaxcredit.wetpaint.com/

It is the site that I used to contact my state representatives about this issue. It makes it very easy to find your representatives and send them a message about continuing the adoption tax credit. If adoption is important to you, please take a moment to voice your opinion. Even though I am disappointed by the lack of response, I still think it is important to let your voice be heard.

UPDATE (3/19/10) Well, lo and behold, when I got home there was a message on my answering machine from my Congressman in the US House of Representatives. One of his assistants left a message thanking me for contacting the Congressman about the adoption tax credit bill. She explained that he was already a sponsor of the bill and that he also happened to be an adoptee. OK. Faith in our democracy is now somewhat restored. But then there's that scary Health Bill they seem to want to push through awfully fast. Ah well, I'm not even going to go there ;)

1 comment:

  1. I loved what Sandra Bullock said when she got her Academy Award thanking all the women who take care all the babies and children no matter where they came from. It's sad that the government and politics make it harder on parents who want to adopt. Don't loose hope!

    ReplyDelete