Monday, April 11, 2011

You can call me anything you like, but my name is Richard



Naming this little guy has sparked much discussion. We are not unlike any other couple naming a child. Everybody has an opinion. But in the end, we (or should I say Hunter) decided that he would be named for his father. Hunter was named for his grandfather. He is officially Richard Hunter II. During the only time he and I discussed names, Hunter asked me if I thought it was appropriate to name the baby after him. I knew even before we married that it was Hunter's wish to have a son named after him, so our son would be an RHB III. I told Hunter that it was his name to give and I would stand behind his decision. And that, was that. No more discussion.

However, what to call him seems to be constantly up to the individual's interpretation. Since his father already goes by Hunter, we are left with Richard. I do not like shortening names. Rich, Richie, Rick, Dick, etc. are definitely out as far as I am concerned. Lord helps the person who calls him "Little Richard"!  So, he is Richard. I think we should call him RJ. Because, according to Miss Manners he is actually Richard Jr. not the III. (Hunter's grandfather passed away in 2002) 

Here is a list of the names that friends and family currently call him.

My mother - Jackson. That is the name she wanted for him and she secretly whispers it in his ear.

My father - Little Wooter. He secretly wants one of Richard's names to be Joseph, which is my Dad's first name. So the RJ thing works pretty well for my parents.

Our cousin Caryn - Butter Beane

Our cousin Lesly - Richie Rich (it's a long story)

Hunter - Stewpot (when he is crying)

Me - Junior (I'm so bad!)

The 10 day waiting period has ended. We will go to the agency this Tuesday to sign the official adoption agreement. We have had the most wonderful time this past week. Whatever we call this little boy, he is our miracle and we are loving every minute!

2 comments:

  1. I agree with Daph---HB3!!! But I do like Butter Beane!! :-) I think I'll call him Lucky, because he is the luckiest little fella to have come to be a part of such a wonderful family with awesome parents!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete